Sunday, March 6, 2011
Transforming American Education EDLD 5352
In the technology draft plan for 2010 there were several issues that were brought up about educating and bringing our students up to date with the technology that is out in the world today. This plan reviewed 5 major goals that needed to be accomplished by teachers and students in schools today. One of the first goals was learning. We need to create and adopt learning standards that reflect 21st century expertise. Develop and adopt resources that show the flexibility of technology and how it can reach all learners. The second goal was assessment. Development of ways to give feedback in more timely manor was a concern. This goal also looked at the different ways in which assessment could be given besides your typical tests...such as gaming, simulations or virtual worlds. The third goal was teaching. In meeting this goal we need to be able to design and develop technology based content. I feel that what they really want from this is to make everything online learning...to be able to collaborate with others no matter where they are to learn and not just rely on the teacher for all the answers. The fourth goal was infrastructure. This goal was meant to make sure that all students and teachers has access to the internet and/or wireless connectivity inside and outside of school. To go along with this all students and educators need to have access to a device that will allow this connectivity. The last goal was productivity. Design, implement technology-powered programs and interventions to ensure that students progress will prepare them for the workplace of today's world. This plan has many great ideas and I think should be viewed by many people. I like that fact that through this plan teachers are able to become learners through it and not just sit through hours of training to learn. The idea that teachers are encouraged to use video sharing and social networking to observe others in classrooms is a brilliant idea. I feel that teachers watching others work can learn more from that than sitting through presentations of "how technology should be used". Overall I like the thought behind this plan but I do not feel that many of the older teachers would be on board. Another area I see problems with is providing all with devices to access the internet at any time. It seems as budgets are getting cut, so are the opportunities to get ahead with technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment